"Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend."
-Plautus

Wednesday 22 December 2010

Happy ... Saturday!

My wall-mates & I had a discussion today about “Happy Holidays” vs. “Merry Christmas” in the professional world. Most of us have received “Happy Holidays” from associates and whatnot, and some of us even use it. Others of us continue to use “Merry/Happy Christmas.” I am one of those ppl. The question came up – “But what if someone doesn’t celebrate Christmas?” My flippant response was, “But I do, so that’s what I say!” Really, tho, I say Happy Christmas because – much like Mondays – whether you celebrate it or not, THAT’S what December 25th IS. Just like Martin Luther King Jr Day, Valentine’s Day, St Patrick’s Day, Easter, Thanksgiving… These days are on the calendar, they are recognized by the government of the country we reside in, and while some are static (same date every year) and some are fluid (4th Thursday/1st Monday of a month), they EXIST. Just as Ramadan, Hanukah, and Kwanza are recognized by the calendar and the government for those who celebrate them, and ARE for those who do not. If someone, during the Festival of Lights, said to me, “Happy Hanukah,” I would assume they are Jewish & respond in kind. I would not be offended that they’re wishing me a happy anything! And so, to you I say, Happy Christmas, because Saturday IS Christmas, and I’d like you to be happy. 



Ttfn!


2 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely! If someone said Happy Hanukah to me I would also not be offended. I like to say Happy Christmas personally because a lot of the Brits do :) We had a client that requested that we say "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" on his advertising because he believes in the classic and traditional and did not care what was politically correct. Thanks for sharing your views :) xoxo love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. teehee, that's what started the "happy christmas" thing, was the first harry potter movie. i liked the way ron said "happy christmas, harry," the cadence of it. so i picked it up. some other british sayings i use in everyday life are "loo," "buggar," and "bollox." (Thanks, Spike from Buffy!) ; )

    ReplyDelete