"Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend."
-Plautus

Thursday 10 June 2010

hunger

Have you ever been truly hungry? Not just a little puckish, but truly, stomach-gnawingly hungry. I get that way sometimes, and when I don’t eat before bed, I wake up that way. I have to time my “late night snack” just right and choose foods that will stick with me thru the night, because otherwise I can wake up sick. I’ve always had a touch of “morning sickness.” Just where I would wake up very, very queasy. It is never fun. Sometimes I would recognize it as hunger, and eat a good breakfast before school. Other times, I felt like if I ate anything right then I would hurl. (Sidebar: my friend Vawn’s dad’s name was Herl. I still feel bad for him every time I use that word!) Some days I couldn’t eat anything with milk or eggs, and other days all I wanted was a big bowl of cereal, or an egg & jam sammich. When my family & I would go on vacation, we would often get up early to enjoy the continental breakfast. My favorite were two hotel restaurants near Six Flags in Eureka, MO. One had a huuuuuge dining area w/ a picture of the Screamin’ Eagle on one of the walls. The other was a bit fancier, and had kinda a … renaissance theme, all dark wood and booths. That hotel was really neat, too, had a massive lobby w/ a fireplace and dark brocade curtains on the windows and a balcony looking over it all. One year our room had a balcony outside, I think, and we watched fireworks & listened to REO Speedwagon perform at the park. Ahhh, memories!! : )


But I digress! This is about hunger, and food, and how being hungry and not having any food to eat can cause serious problems! I understand on a tiny minute level the mental strain the ppl on Survivor go thru when they are starving! I get grumpy and single-minded, my only focus is to get SOMETHING, ANYTHING, into my stomach so it will stop hurting. Usually I have things at home that I can grab, or I have fruit or yogurt to bring in & eat when I get to work. some days – like yesterday – I’ve got nothing, tho! Thankfully, I had some extra time so I could stop at McDonald’s ($1 large coke, extra ice, $1 sausage McMuffin w/ cheese! And the gal at the window gave me 14 cents so it only cost me $2! : ) ). Before I got there, tho – and I don’t live terribly far away from mickey d’s! – I thought I was going to pass out! It was not a pleasant feeling at all.

Then we have lunch time. Yesterday I was on my own, since Trish’s group had a bowling outing for team building. I decided to go to the bank. Crossing the bridge. At lunch time. Hmmm… perhaps I was blinded by hunger again!!! LOL But really, No big deal, there’s construction, but getting to iowa wasn’t bad. I went to the bank & then the plan was to swing in to WM for $10 in gas & get lunch to go at chick fil a. well… there was construction on the road to WM and traffic was backed up a TON! I was loooooow on gas, so I had to break my boycott of BP & stop in to the big 10 mart. And pay $.10 more for gas per gallon! Grrr! Then, when I was leaving, I got caught up in the construction before getting to the bridge. It was a mess! Grrrr! Again. *laugh* so, I ended up taking ½ an hour more for lunch, which I decided to parlay into an hour of vacation & was going to leave at 4:30, but Dave needed me so I didn't leave til 5 anyway. Crazy!!

Today was pretty much in the same category of craziness, but this week has been a pretty good week overall, and I'm happy to be busy!  I made it to Hy Vee after work, forgot some stuff, got some stuff I wasn't expecting... *laugh*  Rebecca stopped by after work to deliver Pampered Chef stuff, which was cool.  Except I'm embarassed by how cluttered my house is!  Not so embarassed I don't let ppl in, but still.  *laugh* 

Once again, it is BED time!  : )  Meeting right when I get in tomorrow, and after work Sarah & Andrew are coming over to hang out & give Juli & John a date night.  Should be fun!!! 

TTFN! 

p.s.
Please take some time to pray for Abby Sunderland and her family.  I've been following her blog for awhile, and she is a really neat young lady.  Full of courage!  She's sailing around the globe & her ER beacons went off early this morning shortly after her family lost contact w/ her over a SAT phone.  Due to her position, it was going to take rescue efforts awhile to reach her.  She has all the equipment she needs to be safe, but a dry suit & other things won't help if you don't have time to utelize them in an ER.  So again, I ask you, please keep this situation in prayer! 

Thanks, and God bless!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment