"Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend."
-Plautus

Sunday 20 June 2010

Happy Father's Day!

I had kinda an "aha!" and "duh!" moment today.  I've been missing Daddy most especially lately because - Ta-Da! - Father's Day was coming up!  Even without TV and the constant stream of commercials lauding the day, they've been all over radio and email - everyone wants you to "remember dad on Father's Day!"  This is a good thing, of course, and idk why I didn't connect the dots sooner!  Probably because it was all so directly subtle, if that makes sense?  (BTW, don't worry, I'm okay.  I miss him, I'll always miss him, but I had fun looking though these photos today to pick some to share with you. *smile*) 

And so, without further ado, here are some pictures of my darling father doing the things he loved and posing for pictures cuz he loved me, too.  : ) 




I remember taking these family pictures every year.  Dad would set up the background & work w/ the camera to get everything just right.  IDK why I don't have more years - I remember one year w/ a blue background - it was a blanket & it took forever to get it to drape correctly on the shelves!  LOL 

Okay, this isn't really a "dad-centric" photo, and yet that's part of the story. This was our birthday party when we turned 15 (me, Julia & Renee all had November birthdays, and liked to have joint parties!).  April (on the right) had moved to Washington the year before, and she surprised me by showing up to the party.  Seeing her at the door is still one of my favorite childhood memories!  Dad hanging out in the back there as we opened presents was just so ... him.  I mean, a 15th birthday party full of girls is the kinda thing a lotta guys would run from, right?  And I'm sure he & Phil didn't hang out the whole time.  Heh.  But the fact that he was there for the present opening really meant a lot to me then, and still does today.  : )


Daddy was a hunter, and an avid fisherman.  He loved going on trips for both with friends. 


I think this was soon after getting his dentures, and I made him show off his new (different) smile.

 

My parents sorta fell into foster parenting.  It was a point of stress sometimes, but Dad also really enjoyed playing with the kids.  And Jonna looks like a little doll here, don'tchya think?  (Elizabeth & Jonna have since been adopted into an awesome family, btw.)


He was always willing to wear the ties I bought him.  : ) 

(Sidebar: Notice Mom's blonde (!) hair & my red hair.  Heh.)


And, finally, Santa Daddy.  He was always willing to be festive, and he was very proud of his Royal Rangers.  He worked his butt off for those kids, to give them something to work towards, taking them on camp outs, paying for the kids who couldn't afford to go.  He made pinewood derby cars and helped the boys make theirs.  At his celebration of life ceremony, one young man stood up - in his Marines uniform - and talked about the difference Commander Bill had made in his life. 

He was an awesome father, a Daddy in every sense of the word.  As my brother follows his example in fatherhood, his legacy lives on in Leyton.  I'm very grateful that Anthony was able to know him, however briefly.  Thank You, Lord, for the nearly 30 years I got to know this man. 

Amen.  : ) 



No comments:

Post a Comment