"Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend."
-Plautus

Tuesday 18 May 2010

Bridge


This morning, the bridge was a BEAR! And Dwyer & Michaels were talking about it. What kind of driver are you in construction zones? Not IN the zone, really – because for safety’s sake we’re going to assume that everyone pays attention to the workers & posted speed limits. But when there’s a lane closure, and they let you know about it a mile beforehand, what do you do? Do you get over to the right lane immediately? Do you zoom ahead to the last possible opening before the barricades? Or does it depend on your mood/timing?


For me, it’s about mood/timing. For example, we have five major bridges across the river. Currently, 3 are under construction and 1 is closed completely. The one that is closed completely is a fairly busy one for semi’s, and other routes have gotten increasingly busier because of that. The Green Bridge is the easiest one for me to cross, as it’s a mostly straight shot from the road I live off of to the road I work on! (seriously – turn out of my neighborhood, drive straight to the bridge, exit off the bridge, turn onto the street I work on!) Anyway, they are doing construction not ON the bridge but down a mile. There are two onramps prior to the bridge. Semi traffic has increased greatly. Most of the time, I try to get in the left lane right away & bypass all the onramp traffic, which usually allows me to zip into the right lane on the bridge, not JUST before the barricades, but a comfortable distance. Unfortunately, sometimes I don’t make it to the left lane, and I am STUCK for 20 minutes in the right lane. Watching the cars zip by me in the left lane. Now, sometimes there will be a break in the cars & I can make it to the left lane, but most of the time, once you’re in the right lane, you’re stuck because you can’t get up enough speed to safely merge over!



Another thing they were talking about this morning was blocking cars. Now, when you get up to a certain point and there is a line of cars in the right lane, I am all for blocking the cars behind you from zipping thru the left lane & cutting you off at the barricade. If everyone is doing what they’re supposed to, those cars should have been able to merge before the end of the bridge. *laugh* IF EVERYONE IS DOING WHAT THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO! Yeah… how often does that happen?? ; ) I don’t do the blocking thing because Chloe isn’t long enough, but if I was driving an F-10 pick up or something? Ayup. I could potentially be “one of those.” LOL

I think tomorrow I'm going over the blue bridge.  Sure, there's more truck traffic, but the bridge is shorter & it doesn't get backed up!!  ; ) 

have a great night, and happy travels!  ttfn. 


No comments:

Post a Comment