"Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend."
-Plautus

Tuesday 27 July 2010

why's it always gotta be about who i'm dating?

Don’t read anything into this, I’m just sharing an observation on how a particular question makes me feel at the time it's asked. 


“So, any news on the man front?”
“Got a new guy yet?”
“How’re things going with the love life?”


Three examples of the type of question you probably should NOT ask a single man or woman.  Seriously.  I know you’re just being friendly, or curious, or whatever, but I’m pretty sure if there was anything to share in that department, EVERYONE would know about it!  And if you don’t know about it, then I don’t want to talk about it.  Whether I’m single or seeing someone or whatever, if I haven’t mentioned it, then I don’t want to talk about it.  First of all, it implies that my life isn’t fulfilled because I haven’t mentioned a man.  What????  I am pretty sure that’s not what ppl MEAN when they ask things like that, but it’s what I tend to HEAR.  It makes me feel like I need to be on the defensive, like I need to explain to you why I don’t have a boyfriend or why I haven’t told you about every guy I’m seeing. 


Some ppl do, I understand that.  Some ppl are seeing a new guy/girl every week, and writing about it or posting it as a FB status or whatnot.  And some ppl are brokenhearted or disappointed or upset every week when they break up, and swear that this time, THIS time, they're going to wait for the "right" person to come along.  Then, two days later, a new status or blog or letter or telephone call or text about how they've met the most wonderful person & they're the happiest they've ever been.  


That's not what I'm looking for, and it's not what I need.  


Also, I'm pretty much an open book - if you've read this blog at all, or know me, you know it's true!  So, I don't think I would forget to mention if I was seeing someone important.  And if I haven't mentioned it, then either I'm not ready to or it's not something I want to talk about.  Which is only secondary to the  point above.  
Anyway!  Awkward!  That’s the feeling.  Oye. LOL  


Right now the feeling I’m feeling is hunger… *laugh* and I should make my pickles for tomorrow before I go to bed, too.  Dropping Chloe at saturn & Marty's picking me up there at SEVEN TWENTY FIVE AM.  blech.  I hate early mornings. But Tony said he'd have a mt dew waiting for me... : )  


TTFN!  


2 comments:

  1. I"m sooooo with you on this Carrie! Thank you for expressing what I think all the time!!!! LOL.

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I couldn't be alone in those thoughts!! Thanks, Kris. : )

    ReplyDelete